CAT (Common Admission Test) is the most popular MBA entrance test, taken by lakhs of aspirants every year. It is the key shortlisting criteria for admission to the prestigious IIMs(Indian Institutes of Management) and various other B-schools of India.
CAT is conducted every year in the month of November. It is held in more than 150 cities of the country. CAT 2022 is likely to be scheduled for November 27, 2022. Read on to know complete information about CAT exam 2022.
CAT Notification 2022
The official notification for CAT is generally out by July, and the online registration window is open for almost 45 days from the start date. For CAT 2022, you need to apply at iimcat.ac.in. Here is a glimpse of the probable timeline for CAT 2022:
CAT Important Dates2022
|CAT 2022 Notification Release||August 2022|
|CAT 2022 Registration Starts||August 2022|
|CAT 2022 Registration Ends||September 2022|
|CAT 2022 Admit Card Release||October 2022|
|CAT 2022 Exam Date||November 2022|
|CAT 2022 Answer Key Release||December 2022|
|CAT 2022 Result Declaration||January 2023|
While appearing for the exam, you need to show your admit card and an identity proof at the test centre. A week after the CAT 2022 exam, its answer key and your response sheet will be available for download.
Further, you can also raise an objection regarding the answer key, if you notice any such error or discrepancy. The objection window stays open until four days after the answer key release. All you need to do is fill the related online form given on the official site, upload the document/s to validate your objection and pay the required fee.
CAT Fees 2022
The registration fee for CAT is Rs. 2200 for the general category and Rs. 1100 for reserved category candidates. For filing an objection to CAT answer key, you need to pay a fee of Rs. 1200 per question.
CAT Eligibility Criteria 2022
There are certain eligibility rules that you need to fulfil for appearing in CAT 2022. Given below are the important requirements for the CAT exam:
- You should have a Bachelor’s/ equivalent degree from a recognized university/board. Final year graduation students are also eligible for the exam.
- In 2021, the minimum percentage criteria were removed due to pandemic-induced changes. This is expected to continue for CAT 2022 also.
There are also reservation provisions extended for MBA/PGDM courses at various B-schools. Besides, the eligibility criteria for MBA admission may differ from course to course. For more details on the same, you can refer to the official websites of the respective institutes.
CAT Exam Pattern 2022
Every year, one of the IIMs facilitatesthe CAT exam. It is held in computer-based mode, and is being conducted in three slots since 2020. CAT is composed of both objective and subjective questions. The following table gives an overview ofthe CAT Exam Pattern and marking scheme:
|Sections||Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension (VARC), Quantitative Ability (QA), and Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning (DILR)|
|Total Duration||120 Minutes|
|Total No. of Questions||66|
|Type of Questions||MCQs & Non-MCQs|
|Time Limit per section||40 Minutes|
|Marking Criteria||+3 for each correct answer and -1 for each incorrect answer|
Other Features of CAT Exam Format:
- There is no negative marking in case of Non-MCQs.Nearly 30% of the questions are non-MCQ types.
- The order of sections is fixed and starts with VARC.
- Test-takers cannot navigate between sections, without submitting the current one.
Note that the IIMs release an instructional tutorial for the aspirants to understand CAT exam pattern. This is usually uploaded on the official website in the month of October.
CAT Syllabus 2022
Although there are no official guidelines for CAT syllabus, the exam has featured some particular types of questions every year. Based on the analysis of last year CAT papers, here are the important topics that need to be prepared:
|Quantitative Ability||Arithmetic, Number System, Algebra, Geometry& Mensuration, Modern Math|
|Data Interpretation& Logical Reasoning||Arrangements, Team Formation, Clocks and Calendars, Bar Graphs, Tables, Venn Diagrams, Pie Chart|
|Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension||Long & Short Passages, Para-jumbles, Para-Summary, Odd-one-out|
CAT 2022 Participating Colleges
Thousands of B-schools and universities accept CAT scores for admission to their MBA/PGDM/equivalent programmes. Besides the 20 IIMs, there are several other reputed institutes that provide quality education in different fields of management. These include both public and private colleges/universities. Here is the list of top B-schools that accept CAT scores:
- Indian Institute of Management (IIM) Ahmedabad
- Indian Institute of Management (IIM) Bangalore
- Indian Institute of Management (IIM) Calcutta
- Indian Institute Of Management (IIM), Kozhikode
- Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Indore
- Indian Institute Of Management(IIM), Lucknow
- Faculty of management studies (FMS), New Delhi
- Management Development Institute (MDI), Gurgaon
- Institute Of Management Technology (IMT), Ghaziabad
- Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Trichy
- Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Shillong
- Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Kashipur
- Department of management studies (IIT Delhi), New Delhi
- S. P. Jain Institute of Management & Research (SPJIMR), Mumbai
- International Management Institute (IMI), New Delhi
- Vinod Gupta school of management (VGSOM), IIT Kharagpur
- Xavier Institute of Management (XIM), Bhubaneswar
- National Institute of Industrial Engineering (NITIE), Mumbai
- K J Somaiya Institute of Management, Mumbai
- LalBahadurShastri Institute of Management, Delhi
CAT Cut-off 2022
Soon after the CAT results are announced, the candidates start receiving calls from suitable B-schools. While some B-schoolsconsider only CAT scores, some others also give weightage to the candidate’s overall profile for shortlisting. Listed below are the main parameters behind the CAT cut-off:
- Number of students that appear in CAT 2022
- Difficulty level of CAT 2022 exam
- Number of admission seats available at the institute
- Ranking/reputation of the institute
Previously, most of the IIMs called candidates with a CAT percentile of 95 and above. However, in the last few years, the top IIMs have started shortlisting as per the candidate’s overall profile (academics, work experience, etc.) and called candidates withthe CATpercentile of 80.
Nevertheless, considering the limited seats at IIMs, it is recommended that you target a percentile of 95 and above, so as to stay eligible for other reputed B-schools.
The shortlisted candidates need to appear for subsequent rounds likeGD/CD (Group/case discussion)/Group Exercise, WAT (Written ability test/Essay writing), and Personal Interview.The final admission is granted as per the candidates’ CAT scores, performance in selection rounds, and overall profile.