- CBI – Central Bureau of Investigation
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) is a federal law enforcement bureau. Full form of CBI is the Central Bureau of Investigation. It is an Indian government entity that oversees security and acts as a criminal investigation authority. The organization’s headquarters are in New Delhi. The CBI is normally led by a senior IPS officer. He supervises CBI officers such as the Superintendent of Police, Deputy Inspector General of Police, Sub-Inspector, and Constables. Sh. Alok Kumar Verma has been the director of the CBI from July 2017. He is an Arunachal Pradesh-Goa-Mizoram and Union Territories (AGMUT) cadre IPS officer from the 1979 batch.
The CBI reports to India’s Prime Minister. “Industry, Impartiality, and Integrity” is its motto. Subodh Kumar Jaiswal is the current Director of CBI and D. P. Kohli was the first Director of CBI. The CBI’s headquarters are at the CGO Complex in New Delhi, close to the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium.
What is the purpose of CBI?
- Terrorism can be controlled by enforcing stringent policies.
- Investigate all forms of crimes in India, as well as occasionally beyond the country.
- Take care of financial fraud instances.
- Resolve unsolved cases from any state’s police department.
- In the fight against corruption, provide leadership and guidance to the police forces.
The Special Police Establishment was founded in 1941 to supervise internal security. It was renamed CBI on April 1, 1963. D. P. Kohli was the CBI’s initial director, serving from April 1, 1963, until May 31, 1968. In 1965, it was given additional tasks, including the investigation of economic crimes and traditional crimes like as murders, kidnappings, and terrorism-related crimes. It was determined in 1987 that the CBI will have two different investigating departments, one for anti-corruption and one for special crimes.
- CBI – Central Bank of India
Another full form for CBI is the Central Bank of India. The Central Bank of India is a government-owned financial institution. It is one of the country’s oldest and largest commercial banks. The company’s headquarters are in Mumbai. This bank operates 4600 branches and over 5000 ATMs in India. It is one of India’s 18 public sector banks. It has offices in Nairobi and Hong Kong, and it is in talks with the Reserve Bank of India to build representative offices in five other cities: Singapore, Dubai, Doha, and London. The new Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of the Central Bank of India is Matam Venkata Rao (as of 2021).
Honours and Recognitions
- It was awarded first place for exemplary implementation of the Government of India’s Official Language Policy in Mumbai for the 2015-16 fiscal year.
- In the area of Mobile Banking, it won the Fintech India Award 2016.
- The RBI RAJBHASHA SHIELD SCHEME awarded it three first prizes for each of the three linguistic zones.
- In 2016, it was awarded the banking technology award for outstanding technological initiative.